MR2World

MR2 Tech Forum

2003 Convertible top

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NickGeorge803 Nick George
Rock Hill, SC, USA   USA
Had both latches come open on the highway this morning. Anyone know if the latches can be adjusted to tighten them down or do I need to look for replacements? If I keep it under 70 I don't have a problem but that is no fun.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Millbrook MR2 Ken Ostrye
Millbrook, AL, USA   USA
These are guesses based on the convertibles I have and those I had in the past.
With the top closed and latched, can you press down on the front bow and note ANY movement.
Same thing with the latches inside, can you wiggle them and note any movement.

Regarding the first, if there is movement at the top bow, imagine how much there might be driving down the road at speed. It can vibrate the latches open.
Also, any looseness of the latch or catch mounting goes the same way. Road speed vibration of these can cause un-latching.

The rubber gasket where the front bow meets the windshield frame may have compressed over time and need replacement.

Good luck, I hope these ideas get you in the right area.

NickGeorge803 Nick George
Rock Hill, SC, USA   USA
Thanks Ken.
I did not have any bowing or loose latches. The top was showing some wear so I had it replaced. The new top fits better and have not had any problems so far. I think the old top was old and too loose.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links