Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MR2World

MR2 Tech Forum

error code 440. help please

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bobsmr22001 Bob Manis
Blk Mtn, NC, USA   USA
Hello everyone, i am a proud but frustrated owner of a yellow 2001 mr2. My wife and i love driving this sporty cat. My frustration comes from a 440 error code. Myblocal mechanic has replaced the gas cap with a genuine toyota cap, the very expensive evac chamber, canister close value, and yet i get this general emmisions contol error. Plus my rear window is starting to separate from the convertible top. So as it goes.. I still love it. I was hoping some fellow members might be able to help with my issue. My local mechanis want to replace catalytic converters. Its my under standing you have 2 pre catalytic converters and the main catalytic converter. I have read that it could be rubber gromments that attach to the gas tank in various places. So if you have a cure please let me know. I love to see my dash without the orange glow of the chk engine light. Thank you much and come ride the blue ridge parkway. Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Millbrook MR2 Avatar
Millbrook MR2 Ken Ostrye
Millbrook, AL, USA   USA
1986 Toyota MR2 "Rossa"
1987 Toyota MR2 "Chrissy"
Back to the basics. The engine control module (ECM) has detected a leak in the fuel tank vapor system or a vapor pressure sensor has malfunctioned.
Sure, the most common failure is the owner fueled up and didn't tighten the cap. But that is certainly addressed by selling you a new cap.
Was it reset after the new cap was installed? How long after that did it come on again?
There are a lot of vacuum hoses that are involved, a rollover valve at the tank and the power brake booster.

I would suggest you innocently take it to Advance Auto, or whatever other parts supplier there is in Black Mountain or that area.
Let them know you have the Check Engine Light on (not mentioning your local mechanic).
They will usually bring out a diagnostic tool to read the code and give the car an visual inspection. After all, they may be able to sell you a part. Most of them are pretty sharp and can be quite helpful.
(I mention Advance Auto as I was interviewed and it was intense. You need to be sharp to work with them. I declined because I have an issue with working on Sunday and that was a condition.)
I doubt it's the catalytic converters.
If there is anything that preceded this indication, like an off road trip, it would be important to mention, as it may help.
How many miles you 2 has. General use, short or long trips.

bobsmr22001 Bob Manis
Blk Mtn, NC, USA   USA
Thanks for your comments, i have a code reader that gives me two 440 codes evaporative contol issue. My local mechanics ( who i have used since 2005. I just dont thinkbthey can find it. Thats one of the reason i want them to change hoses and seals. I think they are just trying everything. I thought i take it to thevtoyota dealer this time. It is mostly used for fun. Riding the blue ridge park way and the einfing roads of wnc. It is a fun car to drive.
Back to the problem.. I really think its a small pinhole leak. I can erase the error codes and it will go off again anywhere from 125 miles to 200. Dont really know why sick a wide range.
If i can ever getbthis fix my next big expence is replace the top. The back window has separated in two spots from the canvas. I found a place on line to buy the whole top for 503.00 but my local car boat repair shop wont do convertibles.
Thanks fir your comments
Bib

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobsmr22001 Bob Manis
Blk Mtn, NC, USA   USA
My mr2 has 91971 miles on it. Run well.
Bob

Millbrook MR2 Avatar
Millbrook MR2 Ken Ostrye
Millbrook, AL, USA   USA
1986 Toyota MR2 "Rossa"
1987 Toyota MR2 "Chrissy"
Since that has not fixed it then I recommend taking your car to a shop. That has what is called a "smoke machine".
This machine puts smoke into the system and where it is leaking can be seen .
There is no other good way of checking for leaks in this system.
It will save anyone lots of time and money to just take your car somewhere that has the capability to perform this test.

As another method, that may not be safe, you could use freon and a freon leak detector. The serious safety issue is that if any freon remains in the system, and it will, when it burns it off gases a lethal agent, phosgene.

Phosgene (COCl2) is a highly toxic gas or liquid that is classified as a pulmonary irritant. Exposure to phosgene gas produces delayed-onset noncardiogenic pulmonary edema. Immediate symptoms may occur with concentrations as low as 2-3 ppm (throat and eye irritation). ... Exposures to 50 ppm may be rapidly fatal.

Your freon leak detector may be sensitive to propane. Realize that propane presents a fire hazard. Southeast Toyota previously used propane as a refrigerant in cars when they 'port installed' A/C. They stopped that some time ago.

bobsmr22001 Bob Manis
Blk Mtn, NC, USA   USA
Thanks so much. Really appreciate your comments. I think toyota is my next visit.
Bib

bobsmr22001 Bob Manis
Blk Mtn, NC, USA   USA
Thanks to the feedback from this forum.. I finally (well I hope) have my 440 441 error code fixed.
as someone suggested.. I ask them to remove the gas tank and look at the roll over value.
this value has a top piece of all one molded section attached to a bottom piece.
turns out the top piece had the smallest of crack in it., once they got the tank down and smoked tested it
it finally after 2 years of repairs and 3 smoke test.. the last one worked. My mech. said that the crack finally
split wide enough to see the smoke.

I would suggest if you get this evap error you drop your tank and check the roll over value, at least on cars over
10 years old which i do believe is all MR2"s meet . plus the usual gas caps, hoses. etc. that is all listed in
this forum. I chose the costly path first and replace the evap chamber, some other canister and spent lots of
money on diagnosing the problem.

turns out what really helps was the advice i got her in the forum and giving that info to my mech., they followed the
advice and found my problem.

thanks again to all that responded.
bob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1989 Toyota MR2 GT T Bar

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links