Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Welcome to all New Members!

We're getting lots of new members every month, so if you've been lurking and not sure where to join, scroll down and reply below.
Tell us a little about yourself, your MR2, your builds or plans, general interests, etc.

If you want to jump right in and ask a question, please click Start New Topic above.

Thanks,
Skye Nott
Webmaster

Webmaster, MR2 World

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Pamradar38 Avatar
Pamradar38 Pamela McNeil
Marshfield, MO, USA   USA
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder "Lil Red"
Got a 2003 spyder mr2 for my birthday in May. It is very beautiful and I love to drive it. However I have a leak when it rains on my driver side floorboard, literally stands in water. Can see any obvious spot that it would be leaking. Only drivers side gets wet. Has anyone else had this problem. Not sure where to find the leak

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Nice birthday present!

Aren't there some drains for the top? They're probably clogged... the water might end up in the driver's footwell but could be coming from lots of different places. Found this tip: "There are two drains, one on each side. They are located deep down inside the soft top folding mechanism. To find them, reach into the space between one side of the top and the package shelf (the part that is held up by the black strings). The drains are toward the front of this cavity. When water enters from the outside, through the gap in the weather stripping closest to the door, it flows down the inside of the soft top, and into the drain."

Webmaster, MR2 World

Member Services:
mmagorj Avatar
mmagorj Jerry Magorian
Lincooln, Nebraska, USA   USA
The convertible top drains could be the problem. Since you are talking about the driver's footwell, my guess is the the water is from the outside air intake vents below the windshield. That water should be flowing down and out the bottom of the car through the evaporator/heater drain. Leaves and pine needles will often plug that drain.

If the drain is completely plugged you will get water on your feet on hot, humid days from the air conditioner evaporator.

dookie Eric Harder
Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA   USA
Greetings everyone! Thanks for starting/maintaining a site for a really cool car. I own 2 85's. Also work as a product designer in Detroit. Was an intern at Chrysler back when they had Lamborghini....Did a proposal that looked like mix between mr2 an d nsx...was not very well recieved by the K-car people.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
chrysler lamborghini.jpg    25.3 KB
chrysler lamborghini.jpg

toyota (3) - Copy.jpg    34.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Hi Eric welcome to the club! Those prototype drawings are really interesting, looks like it could have been a pocket sized NSX. What could have been... always seems to be a lack of vision at the top.

Webmaster, MR2 World

Member Services:
dookie Eric Harder
Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA   USA
Hey Skye, thanks for the comments. Yeah, Chrysler has pursued some odd and ridiculous directions, Prowler, Hellcat, etc. Want to submit some newer designs modeled on alias wavefront, this is going to be a real game-changer soon.

mistertwo Casey D
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
Greetings everyone! I've had my 2004 MR2 for 3 or 4 years now. Unlike many other MR2 owners, I don't park mine for the winter months, I drive it year around. The high performance RE040's are great for summer, but, predictably, the car is like a fish out of water in winter, with or without snow. However, a set of Michelin X-Ice's all the way around solves that problem - 185/55 15's in the front and 195/55 15's in the back. Six inches of fresh snow is no obstacle for forward, reverse, turns, stopping, starting.

By the way, what genius at Toyota decided to make the spare not only directional, but also 15 inches in diameter? Technically, in the summer, I can only have a flat on the right front! Fortunately, the car doesn't have posi-traction. That's nice since having that with a flat, and putting a 15 inch wheel on the rear would get very expensive very quickly. As it is, the differential only complains a bit and doesn't give up in disgust if I put that stupid spare on the back. Other that that, I love the car. It's a rough to ride in and a bit noisy to drive, but then its a lightweight sports car. If I would have wanted a super smooth, quiet ride, I wouldn't have bought an MR2.

I've had quite a few strangers ask me if it's a Porsche. I tell them no, it's not expensive enough.

I'm just finishing up the installation of a new soft top. Does anybody know what holds the #4 bow back in position when the top is up? The locating strap is there, it is the stock strap, and it is too short by several inches. Even with it disconnected, to overall top is far too tight. With that strap connected - I need to never put the top up, because it won't go. Everything else seems to be ok.

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
That's the spirit! I figure any car is a winter car, if it's got the right tires. Softer rubber is better of course, but I especially find that narrow tires perform very well. I always chuckle when I'm in a tire store and some BMW/Porsche guy comes in wanting 9" wide snow tires for his coupe.

Have you ever tried that Fix-a-Flat inflation spray? Might get you out of a jam if the puncture is small enough, but I hear it makes a real mess on the inside of the rim.

Add some snow photos of your MR2 to the Registry if you have a minute:

http://www.mr2world.com/registry/entry.php

Webmaster, MR2 World

Member Services:
Workjaguar David Mcgee
Apopka, Florida, USA   USA
Hi I am an old MGB owner (77 model owned since 78) I just bought a 2004 Mr2 with SMT with 30K miles. What a difference between the cars , the SMT never has bad shifts and the engine has so much more power! Bought the MR2 for a steal, but the tires were old (over 8 years old) and the top has a couple tears. Just put on new tread and she drives much quieter and smoother. I am in the Orlando area, know anyone who wants 2 old MGB's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-16 07:30 PM by Workjaguar.

mmagorj Avatar
mmagorj Jerry Magorian
Lincooln, Nebraska, USA   USA
Welcome.

I also have a 2004 MR2 with SMT but with 44K miles. I currently have a 1974 TR-6. I enjoy the difference between my two cars and don't plan on selling the TR-6. For any drive over 45 minutes I always take the MR2,

thinhn220981 Avatar
thinhn220981 Thinh Bui/H
Round Rock, Texas, USA   USA
Hello! My name is Thinh and I am a corporate aviation mechanic working on 1991 MR2 for my son at home.
Got him a good deal on 1991 MR2 found on Craigslist with complete no oil in the engine.

Cushoma Russ C
Marco Island, FL, USA   USA
Hi:
OK, I answer often to the name "Russ" and bought my brand new, little ol' red 1986 MR2 back around December, 1985. Manual shift with around 170K miles on her, she's now semi-retired, only driven by me in the summer months. Great fun car always!
Only one real disappointment since taking delivery 'way back then: Fuel Consumption. 14-16 MPG has been more the norm during conventional, mixed town & country use, which, for such a model car, always seemed a bit excessive. About the best she's ever delivered in 31 years of driving was 19 MPG, open road running 55-60 mph. I note that at those speeds, (55-60mph), the engine is turning 2600 - 2800 rpm, fifth gear. That's always seemed quite a high rpm to me, (for those speeds), and so I'd appreciate learning from others here whether or not those numbers are standard.
Thanks much...will be standing by for any input.

3doggirl Beckie George
Spring City, pennsylvania, USA   USA
Hello to all. I have had my MR2, 2002 for about 5 years. I replaced the engine or I should say had it replaced 2 years ago. Now I have a check engine light that comes and goes. My mechanic ran the codes and thinks it may be the PCM/ECM module. I do have the manual sequential transmission. He called Toyota and they no longer make or have the "computer". He is going to access the computer with the hope that it could be a loose wire. I am searching for the part on every site I can, Toyota has a part alert out. People think I am crazy putting more money into it however you guys know the love of driving the MR2. So I guess I can continue to drive it but it won't pass inspection. I guess I am looking for someone to say fix it or not. It runs great, about 104 K miles with about 8K on the new motor. The top is showing some wear as are the seats but hey, looks are not everything. The feeling when you have to drive to work is so different in that car opposed to my "big" car. So maybe someone here has a car they are parting out and may have the part I need. Thanks.
Beckie

firttimetry David McGee
Central Fla, USA   USA
I have not had any experience with any of these vendors but eBay has several PCM/ecm modules for the MR2. Some are for manual transmission some are for SMT models. What are the symptoms you are encountering? You might want to try this forum for parts.
http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?134889-03-Shifter-Throttle-Body-ECM-TCM-Shift-Actuator-Link-large-brake-pedal&highlight=Ecm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-22 06:33 PM by firttimetry.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links