MR2World

MR2 Tech Forum

Timing Belt

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ouhogfan Todd Beck
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA   USA
I just wanted to see if anyone knows how difficult it is to change the timing belt on the 1986 model MR2. I've always liked these little cars and I know somebody who is wanting to sell me one that has a broken timing belt. I'm just not sure if that is something I want to try and tackle or not. I am somewhat mechanical and I have a friend who has a shop and I know he would help. I'm just looking to find out how big of an undertaking this would be before I jump into it. Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
frankaw11 daniel couch
upland, CA, USA   USA
Its pretty easy as far as timing belts go.
I would recomend a service manual if you havent done one before. Getting the crank and cams set to TDC on the compression stroke is critical for proper operation, although I'm told the 4age is non interferance so valves meeting pistons shouldnt happen.
Not sure about the supercharged version.
Definately replace the timing belt tensioner, also the water pump, camshaft oil seals and main crank oil seal not a bad idea if you're that far in.

ouhogfan Todd Beck
Thanks so much for the info. How much time on average do you think to do this job.

frankaw11 daniel couch
upland, CA, USA   USA
Myself having done it probably 4-5 hours considering a broken belt and cams and crank will be way off.

A person with little experience may take all day or more. A pro could probably get it done in 2 hrs or less.

There is a wealth of info on the web for the MK1 MR2/aw11 and the 4age engine was used in other models as well.
I also have an 86 model. I've owned it for 10 yrs and plan to keep it for ever, car gods willing.
However, as much as I would recomend everyone drive one, they are getting old and parts are getting hard to find. Dont expect your local Pep Boys to have anything in stock, and half the parts arent even in their system anymore. Even my local Toyota dealer can't get parts like cooling hoses (think there are 7). Parts are still out there online, but less and less every time I look.
Not to discourage you, as I said, I love my little car. Just want to let you know what you're getting into.

ouhogfan Todd Beck
Thanks again, that information is very helpful! I will take that all into consideration. As I said, I've always liked these little cars since they came out and I've looked at 3 or 4 over the years to buy but just never have. I'm very seriously considering this one. I'm sure if I go ahead and get it I will be on here with a lot of questions.
Thanks so much!!

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Good luck Todd, I'm sure you'll find the right one. Patience really pays off when shopping for cars.

Webmaster, MR2 World

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Normk Avatar
Normk Norm Keller
Chilliwack, Canada   CAN
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Emmie"
1986 Toyota MR2 "Mister Two"
Flat rate labor times are:

w/Supercharger
w/air cond 3.6 hours
w/o air 2.7

w/o Supercharger
w/ air cond 3.1
w/o air 2.2

Camshaft seal remove & reinstall + 0.3 each
Crankshaft seal R&R 0.3
Tensioner pulley R&R 0.1

I have complete labor times if someone will volunteer to pull them and list into a document. Just PM if willing and we can arrange to send you photos of the pages. Not a huge task.

ouhogfan Todd Beck
Thanks, that would be great

Normk Avatar
Normk Norm Keller
Chilliwack, Canada   CAN
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Emmie"
1986 Toyota MR2 "Mister Two"
Are you willing to take the non-MR2 times from the pages and put them into a spread sheet or other document which can be posted here? If so, PM your email and I will take photos of the pages.

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Hi Norm,

Feel free to submit those scans to the Tech Library and I'll type it up

http://www.mr2world.com/library/

Skye

Webmaster, MR2 World

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Millbrook MG Avatar
Millbrook MG Ken Ostrye
Millbrook, Alabama, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Scarlet"
1986 Toyota MR2 "Rossa"
1996 Mazda MX-5 "Mimi"
Todd ...

I have 4 - 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988 - all are Normally Aspirated ... I can replace a timing belt in about 1 3/4 hours, but have quite a bit of experience ...

I hope the image works .. or go to http://millbrookmotorwerks.jimdo.com/i-ll-do-something-here/ - it's at the bottom of the page ... it may be helpful during reassembly ...

Disconnect Battery ... remove right hand tire assembly install a jack stand and remove the under engine cover ... Remove A/C belt (if equipped). Remove drive belt and water pump pulley.

OPTIONAL - You could take off the engine compartment cooling fan and the cover for it, it gives easier access point for some of the stuff . Its not required, but some think makes it easier. I don't but offer it anyhow ...

put a floor jack under the passenger side of the engine to remove the load from that engine mount ... I suggest for safety, you block it up once the mount is loosened, before you get your hands in there ...

remove the plugs so engine compression doesn't mess with you ...

remove the covers over the timing belt and gaskets, yes, remove the crank pulley ... removing the engine mount IMHO (in my honest opinion) makes the job more than just those 2 bolts, easier ... ... Remove timing belt guide.

set the engine on TDC of #1 ... the distributor has a rib in its side for #1 position, so if you remove the cap it is easier ... you can drop a screwdriver in #1 to be sure it is exact TDC ...

tie-wrap the cam sprockets to the timing belt at the top of the sprocket, just put the tie-wrap through the sprocket opening and then over the belt ... ... this will insure timing between the 2 cams; they have to be removed to replace the seals anyhow ... and the valve springs may (very likely will) rotate at least one (usually both) cam - it just makes it easier ... you can count the teeth on the belt and put the new belt on the cam sprockets when off the car - remember to tie-wrap (if you want, you could use touch-up paint to make them prior to removal, but I find it more secure, easy to tie-wrap) ...

loosen idler pulley (tensioner) bolt and push idler pulley to the left as far as it will go and temporarily tighten bolt. Remove timing belt.

yes, replace the belt idler pulley (tensioner) - caution here, there are washers and such and they must go back exactly - Check idler pulley tension spring free length and installed tension. Free length should be 1.713" (43.5 mm). Installed tension should be 22 lb.@1.976". If not within specifications, replace spring.

Installation - Ensure No. 1 cylinder is at TDC on compression stroke. align marks made during removal. (align camshaft and crankshaft sprocket timing marks.

Install timing belt. Loosen idler pulley (tensioner) bolt and allow pulley to move against belt. Rotate crankshaft 2 revolutions
from TDC to TDC. Tighten idler pulley (tensioner) bolt. Recheck timing mark alignment and adjust if necessary.

Measure belt deflection between both camshaft sprockets. Deflection should be 4.4 lbs. at .16" (2.0 kg at 4.1 mm). If deflection is incorrect, readjust with idler pulley (tensioner).

To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Ensure timing cover bolts are installed to original position. Tighten all bolts to specification.

I hope all this helps ... use the contact me on the web site if I missed something ... I will do my best now that I am back from our cruise ...

best regards ... KenO

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links