MR2World

MR2 Tech Forum

Replacement convertible top for 2003 MR2 Spyder

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Craigj3534 Craig Johnson
Randolph, New Jersey, USA   USA
Hi; I'm a newbie to this board and wondered if anyone can provide some advice regarding purchasing and installing a replacement convertible top.

1) In looking at replacement tops on line they seem to come in two types: a vinyl version in the $400-$500 range and a composite type in the $700 range (e.g., "The topping fabric is a first quality Haartz Stayfast, a three-ply composite made of an acrylic square weave outer fabric, an rubber inner layer and a cotton lining.) Which is most similar to the original factory top?

2) What brand/source would you recommend?

Thanks!

Craig

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Workjaguar David Mcgee
Apopka, Florida, USA   USA
Wow it has been 2 years and no one posted an answer?

Craigj3534 Craig Johnson
Randolph, New Jersey, USA   USA
That's right. No one ever responded. I finally got a new top put on this last spring (2016). It's a canvas composite version, installed by a local auto upholsterer which did all the replacements for the local Toyota dealer. $1,600 all-in for the top, installation & taxes.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Workjaguar David Mcgee
Apopka, Florida, USA   USA
Thanks for your reply , I have been quoted from 1300.00 to 2800.00. Most seem to be in th 1500.00. Dollar range. Have seen some tops for $500.00 but have heard the installation by individuals is a little tricky. I have installed a MGB top or two but these sound more challenging,

awins Andrew Winsor
Bellingham, Massachusetts, USA   USA
I bought our 2004 for my wife's 50th. It needed a top but it was a unique cranberry color. My wife works for a toyota dealership and she is all about OEM.
None of the aftermarket choices came close to the color. The factory actually found an original part on a shelf in CA. One of only two in the country. And your comment about install is right on. These are not for weekend mechanics. Find someone who has done them before.

Attachments:
new top.jpg    38.4 KB
new top.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links